Locating background information in general and subject specific encyclopedias and dictionaries and other reference resources will help you put information in context.
Consulting reference materials will help you:
- Get an overview of the subject.
- Note key concepts/developments.
- Identify significant authors.
- See a chronology/timeline.
- Discern connections/interrelationships with other developments.
- Develop a list of search terms.
- Use the bibliographies to locate other information on your topic.